Photo credit: Westend61/ Getty Images
Coronavirus. COVID-19. Handwashing. Social Distancing.
These are all very familiar terms we've been hearing constantly since the outbreak of COVID-19. As a parent, the current situation can be quite nerve-wracking and protecting our children (and ourselves) from the coronavirus has become a top priority. Over the next few posts, we will be sharing helpful resources that we have found valuable, especially for parents and their children, during this unprecedented time with COVID-19.
To start off with, here’s a great resource we found from the podcast 'Life Kit' and their episode called Coronavirus And Parenting: What You Need To Know Now. This podcast gives excellent advice on educating your children on what the coronavirus is, hygiene tips, & appropriate screen-time measures while sheltering in place.
- Teach your children the importance of washing their hands! Sing along with the Happy Birthday song or the ABC’s.
- When talking about coronavirus, give your kids the facts and be reassuring.
- Make it a teaching moment for social justice. Anyone can get sick and the illness doesn't come from any certain type of person.
- Understand that closing schools is a complicated decision. There are public health risks to schools staying open, but also with closing schools.
- Even though school is closed, you can get creative at home with video chat and social games.
- Screen time can be your friend. But remember to keep your kids active mentally and physically.
We hope you are all staying as safe & healthy as possible.
-Eli & Ali Baby TeamClick below to start listening!